Thursday 3 December 2015

64? Is that old?

Middle aged?  
When I was 20 I thought that 50 was very old. Funny how, as we go along, we push the boundary ahead of us. One year to go and I'll be drawing my UK pension!
Never thought I'd see that day, especially 5 years ago.

You remember Mary Hopkin's song in the 60's, 'Those were the days my friend'? 

Have you ever taken time to read the lyrics…

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And dreamed of all the great things we could do

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.



Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days my friend.....

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me

Those were the days my friend
.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
La la la la...
 
This song is not about lost love, it's about life; living and growing older. I think anyone can relate in time to these lyrics. The bravado of youth, it's endless possibilities tempered by life's realities, till one day we stop and look back with this heartfelt nostalgia and wonder how we got to this place in time. 

We don't stay there in that mind frame though, we recognise that hope springs eternal, we don't give up on our dreams, we are here, we live, we enjoy! That's what I'm doing now. My Father died over 20 years ago, and the rest of the family were wiped out in an 'explosion', shortly after the death of my Mother, on my birthday 3 years ago. But life goes on and it's an adventure full of wonderful people waiting to meet. 
I love my children and grandchildren, they are what's left one day, and that pleases me. 

I often say to my wife Beverley, "I see you Beverley". I'm telling her that I see the beautiful person who has always been there since they were a child, the person we all still feel we are, the one who has always been there, but others don't see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment