Thursday 24 August 2017

Prostate Cancer Runs in Families

                               Andre                  Me                      Paul 


Prostate cancer runs in families, and my family gives no better example. My Dad died of it over 20 years ago. Thankfully, that was the reason I had regular checks. It landed on me 7 years ago, and then my brother Paul 4 years ago. We are both still survivors after surgery, but my brother Andre can only wait; will it pass him by? My son Kyle is now within the age group 40+ when he should be having regular PSA checks, but will he? I was diagnosed with no symptoms, my PSA was even within limits! My cancer was about to break out it was so advanced. I was a ticking bomb. I was lucky!
Don't forget, it's not how large your PSA is that gives the clue that it could be prostate cancer, it's the increase in your PSA over time. My PSA was 3.8 before surgery, well within limits, but my doctor spotted that it had grown from 1.1 to 3.8 in just 2 years. Know your PSA. Know it every year and write it down. Know that at least you didn't welcome this cancer in through your front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment