Monday 6 August 2018

My Medical at BNH Hospital, Bangkok...



A good friend of mine died recently; that often triggers thoughts on our own wellbeing!
I feel OK but what’s going on inside me? Wouldn’t it be worth finding out?

At 9 am on a Monday morning, I sprinted into reception at BNH Hospital at Silom, a deluge of a tropical storm slapping me one last time as I was washed through the door! I’m familiar with the hospital and went straight to the 4th floor where I was warmly welcomed and checked in. I wasn’t sure what to expect, my last medical had been decades ago; however, I was about to be pleasantly surprised! 
The process was explained to me very clearly, and I was assured that I’d be looked after throughout.
So we started, first the basics, blood pressure, height, weight, sight test, ears and then a blood sample, which would provide a massive amount of information later. I then had a chest x-ray, angiogram (heart), upper and lower ultra-sound scan before giving a urine sample.
After that, it was off to spend my free voucher in the café and have fun, just having fasted for 10 hours, I was ready!
An hour later I was back in front of a very pleasant doctor for my results, and was amazed at the amount of information given, but also assured that it would be all e-mailed to me as a report later.
My weight was fine for my body height, and all other indications were that I was in fairly good health. My lungs were clear, my heart was strong, and most other areas and organs were all good. My liver though had two small cysts, currently considered harmless but, “worth keeping an eye on next time.” My gallbladder had a lot of stones in, some as big as 5mm but as it wasn’t causing me a problem, they suggested I book in to have it out later in the year, rather than waiting for it to flare up. My bad cholesterol was a little on the high side so need to be more careful with what I eat, and as my uric acid was also a bit high, I need to drink more water.
So, all in all, at 66 years old I left the hospital bouncing with joy that day, relieved that I had nothing seriously wrong with me and grateful that the advice given to me could help prevent my few minor ailments from becoming major!
The piece of mind alone was worth what I paid that day, and sure enough, the e-mail report arrived the day after, confirming everything.

You’d do it for your car, so why not yourself?   

No comments:

Post a Comment